festival and speech dispatcher FC6

Gary Cramblitt garycramblitt at comcast.net
Wed Oct 11 20:07:00 EDT 2006

On Wednesday 11 October 2006 18:20, Guy Schlosser wrote:
> 	Hey all, the sound problem is fixed.  I have a question though, and
> it has to do with Festival and Speech-dispatcher.  I installed S-D
> 0.61 from yum, using the method Hynek outlined in a previous message,
> and when I do spd-say "hello", I get an error message that says
> "connection refused."  Do I have to put festival in some kind of
> daemon mode or something?  If anyone has had this issue and can give
> me some pointers for solving it, that would be awesome.  I think I'm
> gonna install Espeak, and see if I can't get it working with
> that.  Thanks in advance for the help.

From the Speech Dispatcher INSTALL file:

----
Installing Festival Speech Dispatcher interface:

You need to install the new version of festival-freebsoft-utils (0.3
or higher).

Please make sure that Festival server_access_list configuration
variable and your /etc/hosts.conf are set properly. server_access_list
must contain the symbolic name of your machine and this name must be
defined in /etc/hosts.conf and point to your IP address. You can test
if this is set correctly by trying to connect to the port Festival
server is running on via an ordinary telnet. If you are not rejected,
it probably works.
----

On my system (Debian), file /etc/festival.scm contains the following:

----
;; Any site-wide Festival initialization can be added to this file.
;; It is marked as a configuration file, so your changes will be saved
;; across upgrades of the Festival package.

(set! server_access_list '("localhost"))
----

and my /etc/hosts file contains:

127.0.0.1       localhost       newton

"newton" being my machine's host name.