no sound at command line

Guy Schlosser guyster at buckeye-express.com
Wed Oct 11 15:24:01 EDT 2006

Hey all, just wanted to write and see if I can get some help.  I am
running Fedora Core 6, test 3 on a P-4 2.8 GHZ HT processor with an
AC'97 sound chip.  I can get sound in X Windows, using Gnome and
Orca, but when I try to issue commands like:
$festival
SayText "Hello"
I get no sound out of my speaker.  I've checked my amixer settings,
and everything seems to be turned on and up to max.  Is there a
service or kernel module I need to load?  Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy
P.S. Isn't FC6 final supposed to be released today?  When it is, can
I do a yum upgrade or something like that to come up to current?