Accessibility university course proposal

Juan Hernandez juan at netplus1.com
Wed Oct 11 01:08:37 EDT 2006

Hello everyone,

I am in the process of compiling a proposal to my university.  This proposal
will be directed at the computer science department of my university.  The
information is below.

When referring to computers and software, accessibility is a very important
topic.  If a web site, software program, or a device is not usable by
someone that has a disability, this may make the person's experience very
bad, and even jeopardize their ability to work, and in some cases make them
loose their job entirely.

I am building an academic guide line and course requirement request for my
university.  I am finishing my Bachelor of Science in computer science at my
school, and will be entering their Master of Science program in the same
field of study next year.  I am hoping to get this requirement accepted by
my school, and even teach it while I am a graduate student.  I will propose
to the Computer Science Department that I would like to see a course
developed that instructs students in the different facets of Accessibility
in terms of software design and development.

The criteria that I have come up with are as follows:

Web accessibility

Interface design and development

Documentation availability

Accessibility considerations when updating software
(I.E. breaking something that worked in previous versions to make something
else work in a new version)

This is only a rough outline, and I hope to get more criteria to consider
for my proposal.  Please give me any input, criticism, ideas, opinions, what
ever you feel about this.

Examples of bad and good accessibility implementations, problems people
encounter when making something accessible, and what ever else.

I feel that students do not understand the importance of accessibility, and
that they should be aware, from the beginning of their education about
accessibility.

For those that are not blind or visually impaired please give me input, I do
not know much about other accessibility needs then those of the blind and
visually impaired.

Please right me off list if you want at:  juanh at cox.neIf you would like to
discuss more about this, we can skype or talk on the phone.

Please let me know what you all thing, remember no needs/wants are stupid,
everything will be considered, and will be compiled into a proposal to my
university.  If I am successful with this, I would like to approach other
universities about this.

Thank You.

Juan Hernandez
San Diego State University