Speakup and streaming audio problem

Austin Seraphin au at sunbeem.net
Sun Oct 8 18:43:59 EDT 2006

I don't exactly know where my problem lies, but I figured I'd put it out there.
I want to stream audio to two shoutcast servers. Darkice takes up a lot of cpu
time, bringing my idle percent way down. Things still run though, but I noticed
that moving with Speakup, or sometimes when reading a bunch of text at once, it
causes the stream to pause and click for a split second. Sorry for the
vagueness, but I continue to track the source of the problem. I wish I could
just get mpd to stream to the shoutcast servers, but it doesn't seem to want to
work. I should say that if I disable speakup in a console, the problem goes
away, only reappearing when I reenable it. Thanks for any tips anyone can give.
I use a Slackware 10.2 on a 1.8 ghz machine.
I just read here that they released 11.0. I'll have to see about upgrading from
10.2, has anyone tried that yet?