kernel pre-emption and software speech

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Thu Oct 5 13:23:02 EDT 2006

Samuel Thibault writes:

> Hi,
>
> Michael Whapples, le Wed 04 Oct 2006 22:47:11 +0100, a écrit :
>> In some cases we have to accept less than perfect code. By this I mean that
>> it may function correctly with out no problems, but may need tidying up and
>> other techniques may be more effecient, but if it is the only software that
>> offers those functions then you should accept for what it gives, unless you
>> are prepared to sort it out. Just leaving it definitely doesn't resolve the
>> issues.
>
> I'm sorry, but that's not how things work with Linux. The Reiser4 code
> has been waiting for a long time for instance, and won't be merged
> unless the required cleaning up happens.
In your example there are alternatives, can you name another system that
gives me speech from the moment the OS takes control of the computer, to the
moment it turns off? Cleaning up code is important, and may be there would
be more motivation from others if it was in the way. If this too much of a
problem having it there, it would be good of those who know how to clean it
up helped with it (doing it or helping Kirk and the others writing speakup).
As I said leaving things doesn't get it done.

>> The other thing is that speakup seems to be good enough for some distros to
>> include speakup in the default kernel and some others have it as an
>> optional kernel but still in the main distro, and are they less stable than
>> others? (these include slackware, gentoo, grml). I always found it strange
>> that Redhat said how good speakup is, but never had it included on the main
>> distro media.
>
> The problem is not a stability problem, but a code correctness / style
> / ... You may have code that works, but if it is unmaintainable, some
> day it won't work any more.
OK maybe it is to do with maintaining code, but still there is the question
of distros using speakup, surely they should be having problems or likely
to have problems sometime?