A version of Speakup... for your cell phone?

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Wed Oct 4 19:45:15 EDT 2006

Actually I don't think it would be to difficult.  I suspect the
hardest part would be getting around the graphical user interface they
use on most of them.  A friend has offerred to purchase one for me if
I'd port speakup to it but I haven't really had the time to do the
back ground research to find a suitable unit.  if anyone has
suggestions with details and prices I will look into it.

I am not sure the trade off between needing to use a high end linux
cell phone/pda will work out any less expensive than buying one of the
subsidized phones with talx or mobile speak.

I don't think one would need to use speech dispatcher if memory would
be an issue.  A small stub program could act as a go between from say
speakup to espeak.  You could probably even modify espeak to open
speakups softsynth device directly and bypass using a stub program
completely.

I have to admit it is an interesting challenge, even considering I hate
telephones.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061