A version of Speakup... for your cell phone?

Jonathan Duddington jsd at clara.co.uk
Wed Oct 4 18:23:10 EDT 2006

In article <20061004171752.GA5364 at localhost.localdomain>,
   Gregory Nowak <greg at romuald.net.eu.org> wrote:

> Ok, granted, there is software speech, but I just don't see a
> cell phone having the resources to run speech-dispatcher/speechd-up/
> festival/flite/espeak/whatever else.

It shouldn't be a problem. I'm typing this email on a 200MHz ARM
processor, with eSpeak echoing words as I type.

I have measured eSpeak taking 51 sec to process 6 min 3 sec of speech
output while processing text to produce a WAV file.  That's about 14%
processor occupancy.

I originally wrote it to run on a 12MHz ARM processor!