kernel pre-emption and software speech

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Wed Oct 4 13:28:45 EDT 2006

Quite a few of the changes suggested in Adrian Bunk's suggestion list
were implemented.  Others I didn't understand the criticisms and when
I asked did not get definitive answers.  Some of the suggestions I
didn't understand, I could not figure out how else to implement.  I
have offered to rewrite sections of the code with help from many
people that have offered and have never been able to actually get any
help after the offering.  I have basically given up on the process
because of lack of expertise on my part and lack of assistance on the
part of others.  I originally worked closely with Alan Cox to get it
in and it was mostly there and then Alan and Linus had their falling
out and so that ended up slipping down the tubes.

I would like speakup to be in the actual kernel code because that
would make my job easier maintaining it when someone else changes the
kernel code they would have to be partially aware of the speakup code
needing to be modified also.  As it is speakup works well for the most
part and is relatively easy to patch for novices.  I am not going to
try to get in the kernel code any more unless someone is really
willing to help me with the modifications and answer my silly
questions when I have them, which is often.

I have been moving speakup to git or I should say Daniel Drake has
moved speakup to git but it is not ready for prime-time yet.  I either
have to rewrite the checkout/checkin scripts or move to another system
such as quilt.  My first looks at quilt have not been overwhelmingly
encouraging because of what looks to be lack of documentation or
tutorials or something.  I can't find anything useful reading wise on
the quilt web page.  Maybe I have the wrong page who knows but Daniel
gave it to me so I suspect it is just sparse.

  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061