new home needed for old computer

Chuck Hallenbeck chuckh at ftml.net
Mon Oct 2 15:29:59 EDT 2006

Hi people,

I recently retired my old computer and would like to give it to someone
who might be interested. However, I retired it for a reason, so read
further if you are interested.

There is an unknown source of error that caused the system to produce
errors every few days at unpredictable times. I was never able to pin
down the cause, and decided for that and other reasons to replace it
with a new system. So I would not offer it as a "working system" by any
means. In addition, after transferring what I wanted from it to my new
box, I erased both hard disks, so at the moment it is an OS-less
machine.

The computer is six or seven years old and has gone through a number of
face lifts during that time. I am probably unable to provide
manufacturers and models of its components, but I will describe them
below. Needless to say they are all Linux compatible. The box has seen a
lot of service, for several years it was up and online 24X7.

Here are the components:

Motherboard: no audio, no video, no ethernet, but it has an AMD Athlon
processor, 1.4 GHz, over a GB of ram (1280 MB total), two serial ports,
PS/2 mouse and keyboard connectors, a parallel port, and about 8 USB
connectors.

Hard disks: one 40 GB disk, and one 120 GB disk, both relatively new.

Expansion cards: Video card with 16 MB ram by Elsa (Vanta), two ethernet
cards, and a Creative Labs sblive sound card.

CD drive: The CD drive is a CDR 28X, and of course it boots the system

Oh yes, and it has a 3.5 inch floppy.

This system will probably not give you many years of trouble free
service. It already gave me that. You might be able to coax it back to
life for a while, but in all likelihood you will want to cannibalize it
for parts. I will be happy to part with it for the cost of shipping,
with no warranty that it will work for you.

Please write to me privately if you are interested or have specific
questions. I have limited space here, and zero hardware skills, so
hopefully you will have the space and the tinkering talent to do
something useful with the thing.

Chuck

--
The Moon is Waxing Gibbous (75% of Full)
Only 10 kinds of people: those who do binary, and those who do not.