speech-dispatcher questions

Tomas Cerha cerha at brailcom.org
Wed Nov 29 04:37:32 EST 2006

Michael Whapples wrote:
> I also noticed that when using orca with speech-dispatcher
> through gnome-speech I was unable to change the voice of espeak.

You can't change voices through gnome-speech, but you can still setup
the default voice in Speech Dispatcher configuration.  Also not, that
Speech Dispatcher allows you to set the default voice individually for
each client.  See the manual...

> I think that there has been work to make speech-dispatcher work
> directly with orca, but wasn't sure which project it is at the
> freebsoft website (I thought that was where the work was done).

The orca backend is supposed to become a part of Orca, so there is no
Free(b)soft project for this.  See
http://live.gnome.org/Orca/SpeechDispatcher for motre information.  I
will also try to add this information to the Free(b)soft website.

Best regards, Tomas.