Speakup in Ubuntu Feisty (revisited)

Henrik Nilsen Omma henrik at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 27 14:27:40 EST 2006

Hi!

I want to return to the topic of Speakup integration in the next version
of Ubuntu: Feisty Fawn.

We are nearing the end of the planning phase for Feisty and will soon
focus on production. On Thursday we will select those specs which will
become official targets for Ubuntu 7.04.

The Feisty Speakup spec:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Specs/FeistySpeakup is still not
very complete and is therefore not likely to be targeted this time
(unless major work is done on it in the next few days). If someone wants
to take charge of this spec and do new and interesting things with
Speakup in Feisty then I would encourage you to spec out plans over the
next couple of days.

Otherwise I'm likely to focus on some less ambitious but related topics:
 * Better support for espeak -- more languages and move it into main.
This will be useful for wider use of speakup later
 * Installer support -- We'll be adding braille support to the alternate
installer in Feisty. What is required to also do speech synthesis?
espeak on the CD and a modified installer that feeds espeak?

The gains already made in getting Speakup include in the main kernel
will of course remain. It's also likely that the remaining parts of the
previous spec: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SpeakupInclusion will be implemented.

Henrik