gentoo iptables problem

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Fri Nov 24 18:42:45 EST 2006

Quite right none of iptable's supporting modules got compiled.  How might
someone install gentoo in such a way that all four of the iptables support
modules get compiled?  I wasn't able to build those as modules after the
fact.  This is a real security deficiency in gentoo since I've not been
able to find any gentoo tutorial or howto using google that deals with
this topic.  What's more, slackware and debian don't have this problem on
default installations with speakup.  Doing iptables -nL on either of these
other systems when iptables hasn't been otherwise adjusted shows all three
chains as set to ACCEPT which is the iptables default before any rules get
defined.  If someone thought they'd like to use gentoo as a bootable I'd
say fine so long as you have no data anywhere else on the machine to
protect or anywhere else on the network since iptables and supporting
modules aren't on the livecd and must be downloaded.