removing debian etch old package configuration files and settings

Nick Gawronski nick at nickgawronski.com
Wed Nov 22 16:38:33 EST 2006

Hi, I am trying to remove the old kernel 2.6.17-speakup-686 stuff from my
system.  The kernel is no longer on my system but other files from that
package are still there.  I removed the old modules and initrd image but
still there are other files such as scripts that did not get removed.
What command can I use with apt-get to remove all traces of packages and
not just leave the configurations behind?