Problems with installing ubuntu

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Wed Nov 22 14:04:45 EST 2006

Hello,
Thanks for that information, got brltty working (using second method). It
seems like orca isn't behaving as I would expect though, sometimes it never
seems to respond (don't know if something is happening in gnome, suspect
that something might as the CD sometimes spins up when I try some stuff).
This is things like reading applications, sometimes its own control panel,
and sometimes anything.

Also I found out why it wasn't speaking. While I was in text mode, I loaded
alsamixer, everything was muted. I raised the volume and orca now speaks
(when it responds). I doubt it is system specs as I have 2.4GHz pentium4 and
1.5 GB ram. Could there be a problem with the CD drive I am using, it is a
slower (32x read I think) CDRW, but I use this one as the other I have in
the machine is a cheap one that doesn't always work properly although faster
(when I installed slackware, and it searched for the CD using the cheap
drive, it required the disk to be ejected and re-inserted before it was
recognised).

Any possible solution using orca, or is there a text install where I can use
brltty and/or speakup?

Its a shame that it doesn't quite work straight of the box on all systems,
just a good job I tried it with my laptop first and had it just working, or
I probably would have just passed on it.

From
Michael Whapples