Problems with installing ubuntu

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Tue Nov 21 21:19:29 EST 2006

Hello,
After such a good experience when trying ubuntu from the CD (using it on my laptop), I thought I may as well install it on my desktop as I have the blank partition and then decide which I prefer when I actually have it properly installed. This is where the problems started.

Unlike with my laptop, it didn't work out just put the CD in, specify at boot time the accessibility features, and then get going with gnome and orca. The CD seemed to boot OK, the screen went brighter (I assume gnome had started), but no speech. Unfortunately I can't make out if orca has actually started, but I would guess it had (as I believe gnome had started, and it is not hardware dependent). Due to having two sound cards in my desktop, I shutdown, and removed the one card (the Terratec dmx 24/96, as the other being built in to the MB). Tried restarting, but still no luck, although I do know that in booting I got a click through the soundcard as if it was started. The sound card is normally supported by alsa (as provided with kernel sources) and is a Soundmax card. It uses the intel8x0 driver, which is the same driver as the laptop sound card, although that is reported as sigmaTel audio.

Now how to proceed from here. Is there any other accessible way to install it (I have an apollo synth, and an alva 544t)? Also I could try with my audigy2 USB sound card to get orca speaking, but I don't know how the selection of card will happen when more than one card is present.

From
Michael Whapples