trouble compiling speechd-up 0.4

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Nov 15 16:31:23 EST 2006

I have downloaded and unzipped the latest speechd-up code.  But when I run
the configure script, I get an error.  I cut and pasted the output from my
session below. Note that I cut a lot of lines out of the middle for the sake
of vrevity.  At the end it says cpp failed the sanity check.  There doesn't
seem to be any useful information in the log.

# ./configure
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
[...]checking dependency style of g++... none
checking how to run the C++ preprocessor... /lib/cpp
configure: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp" fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.

At this point I asked it to tisplay config.log:

# tail config.log
#define HAVE_SYS_IOCTL_H 1
#define HAVE_SYS_TIME_H 1
#define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1