orca/lsr comparison wanted

Sean Murphy speakup at ats.net.au
Wed Nov 15 03:45:58 EST 2006

Hi,

My early findings for XWindow Screen Readers are as follow:

1.  Firefox is scheduled to have useable support in the first quarter next
year.  There is some support now, but there is a lot of features which are
lacking.  Once Firefox has this support, then either screen reader will work
fine with the web.  The Firefox developers are working closely with Sun and
IBM to get this to work.

2.  Star Office is can be used.  But you cannot detect tables, bullet
points, and other Word Process features.  You can navigate through the
document.  Once again, Sun is adding a lot more support to the Open Office
standard to improve accessibility.  I have heard this is earmarked to be
ready by mid next year.

3.  The terminal environment of gnome works fine.  I have not tryed this
with LSR.
4.  I haven't yet tested the mail environment.I have used Software Dectalk
in Orca with no problems.  A college has used IBM TTS via the Emacspeak
Server with no problems with both LSR and Orca.

LSR is very simular to how Jaws For Windows works.
If you compare this to the Windows world, XWindow has managed to come a long
way and I expect in the next 12 months you will be able to use Star Office,
FireFox and Mail with no problems.  Other programs I cannot say.  I would
not use festival because it is a painful TTS.

Sean