Fw: ISA to USB adapter

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Thu Nov 9 22:22:45 EST 2006

It's great to find out that such a thing actually exists, and it would
in fact turn your doubletalk pc for example into a portable
usb-connected unit. However, I see a couple of pit falls here.

1. There kernel module and user-space program are proprietary. They
say the kernel module is compiled against linux 2.4.26, and that it
should work with any kernel. Does anyone know for sure that a module
compiled against a 2.4.x kernel will run on a 2.6.x kernel? If not, or
if this should ever change with future kernel versions, you're at
their mercy if you want to continue using your device via the usb
port.

2. This naturally wouldn't make the doubletalk available at
boot. However, booting with the none synth, and then loading the
doubletalk synth should in theory make it work with speakup.

On the bright side, they have their own API used to talk to the
usb-connected isa device, and it looks like it does allow you to talk
fully to any isa card. So, with a bit of coding in speakup, it should
be useable, once speakup supports usb-connected synths in general. No,
I don't naturally see a way that the current isa dtlk driver would
work with this as is, for obvious reasons, obvious to techies that is.

Greg

P.S. Oh yeah, this puppy sure is expensive, though certainly much
cheaper than that $300 motherboard.