Linux Programming

Radical NetSurfer radsurfer at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 8 18:43:27 EST 2006

I read both the man page and info page on mknod,
the only problem is I have no idea exactly what the
major/minor version of this doubletalk should be
offhand.
the other problem is what little experiment I did try
did not result in anything being recognized by my gcc
program of by re-directing using >/dev/dtlk

The mknod commands executed with no error messages,
and then a /dev/dtlk appeared where none existed
before.  Of course I am not absolutely certain what
the best choice of options would be.
Seems like I'd want some kind of Read/Write mode? at
least Write makes sense to send data to the card.
And the equivalent of what a standard file handle type
device would use for a default mode, unbuffered
character stream.

I am probably correct when I'm thinking of this as
having to probably send one character at a time from a
C-String while uses something like:
while ( *str != 0 ) { wrtie(dtlk, *str++, 1); }
assuming the device node was properly created using
mknod.... which is a new one on me, and we accept we
have to send a single character at a time.

The issue of when the card responds is one of internal
buffering and any need to see a period and/or carriage
return / line feed combination to trigger a
text-to-speech to actually occur.

Am I at least close to understanding the particualrs?

At the rate I'm going it might be another month before
I see a breakthrough.  Surely there has to be a more
direct route here.  I feel like there might be someone
out there to see that I am very serious about my
programming and just need a little guidance to get
over this one little problem.

I also have not yet found a dtlk.c program which
fedora
wants to compile for me. I get a huge list of errors,
mostly about not finding the required include files.

//Rich//

--- Igor Gueths <igueths at lava-net.com> wrote:

> Sorry I forgot to mention how you should attempt
> creating the device. Use mknod (man mknod) for more
> info.
> On Wed, Nov 08, 2006 at 06:08:53AM -0800, Radical
> NetSurfer wrote:
> > This is what I have discovered so far:
> >
> > ISA slot #1: 56k Modem
> > ISA slot #2: DoubleTalk
> > PCI sound/network/etc.
> >
> > Activate a terminal.
> > Become super-user.
> > type:
> > /sbin/modprobe dtlk
> > and immediately I hear these words coming out of
> the
> > doubletalk card:
> > "Doubletalk Found."
> >
> > Ok. So far so good you would think.

Sponsored Link

Mortgage rates near historic lows:
$150,000 loan as low as $579/mo. Intro-*Terms
https://www2.nextag.com/