Unattended linux boot CD with speakup

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Mon May 22 08:59:37 EDT 2006

It wasn't all that hard.  All you really need is a system running
kernel 2.6 (I used slackware for this).
The steps I toke were:
1.  Grabbed the latest sources from cvs.
2.  in the linuxboot direcotry you need to make 2 changes to the
makefile.
first, change the version of wireless-tools to 28 instead of 27.
second find the line where it connects to samba.org to grab samba, and
add /old-versions to the end of the url.
3.  Run make download.
4.  Patch speakup into the kernel source it just downloaded for you.
5.  edit misc/isolinux.cfg to give it a timeout setting of whatever you
like.

6.  Run make iso, and answer the questions about including speakup
when they come up from make oldconfig.
7.  Wait.

It takes quite a while to build since you have to compile quite a few
packages.  took about 45 minutes on my 8-proc Xeon box.
On Sun, May 21,