State of accessibility in linux

Chris Norman cnorman at rnibncw.ac.uk
Sun May 21 07:10:26 EDT 2006

hI MATE,
tHERE IS STILL A SCREEN READER THAT WORKS FROM BOOTUP FROM SHUTDOWN, IT'S
CALLED "sPEAKUP".

gO TO WWW.LINUX-SPEAKUP.ORG, THERE ARE DISTRIBUTIONS ALREADY PACKAGED WITH
SPEAKUP. tHE ONLY THING IS, IF YOU WANT SPEECH FROM BOOTUP TO POWER DOWN,
YOU NEED A HARDWARE SYNTHESISER, OTHERWISE YOU WILL ONLY GET SPEECH FROM
WHEN YOU LOAD THE SOFTWARE SYNTHESISER.

iF YOU WANT A DISTRIBUTION WHICH WORKS WITH SPEECH (SOFTWARE), AND CAN BE
INSTALLED BY A BLIND PERSON, i RECOMEND grml.

gO TO WWW.GRML.ORG AND DOWNLOAD IT FROM THERE.

wHEN YOU BOOT IT, YOU WILL NEED A BOOT LINE SOMETHING LIKE THE FOLLOWING:

GRML SWSPEAK LANG=UK KEYBOARD=UK

tHERE IS LOTS OF STUFF OUT THERE, AND LOADS OF PEOPLE WILLING TO HELP.

hOPE THIS HELPS AND TAKE CARE,

Chris Norman
<!-- chris.norman4 at ntlworld.com -->