lynx ssl error

Charles Hallenbeck chuckh at hhs48.com
Thu May 18 04:36:36 EDT 2006

Greg,

What you are dealing with is the flip side of authenticating yourself to
the server. It is the way the server hopes to authenticate itself to
you. The only text browser I know of that takes this flip side seriously
is edbrowse. The way it works is that the server sends your browser some
info encrypted with its own private key, and expects you to have the
server's public key, or certificate, with which you can verify that the
server you are connecting to is truly who you think it is. Most text
browsers just blow this off, and move right along to the usual
authentication phase, where your client sends some authenticating info
to the server to establish a secure link.

Edbrowse supports a certificate collection for a large number of hosts
to which you might connect, and will actually implement the
authentication mechanism so you will not be tricked into creating a
secure channel to a fraudulent host.

HTH
]
Chuck