Gentoo live CD and Speakup?

Arthur Pirika arfy8820 at yahoo.com.au
Tue May 9 14:53:45 EDT 2006

Hi,
Yes, speakup is included on gentoo 2006.0 (I'm just
trying to install it myself). I found that you had to
hit backspace a few times as the cd loaded, to ensure
that the boot promp stays up for you to type gentoo
etc... At leeast that's what I found anyway.

Another way to get it speaking is simply to let it
boot normally, hitting bakcspace every so often. Once
you get a console beep, after hitting backspace (this
means you are logged into the cd), type this at the
shell prompt.
echo ltlk >/proc/speakup/synth_name

btw, the reason I say "trying" to install is thta I'm
trying to establish a pptp connection with my uni
network. after configuring /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and
/etc/ppp/options.pptp, I run pptp and it appears to
work (no errors). However, when I try to go to google
with links (the chain), I get error loading
http://etc, - connection refused. Any suggestions?

thanks,
Arthur.