eSpeak abbreviation question

Laura Eaves leaves1 at carolina.rr.com
Thu May 4 20:07:50 EDT 2006

Hi all -- I have been a lurker on this list for a long time, but thought I'd
break my silence for a moment to make a suggestion.  In the case of jaws, I
believe the acronyms are specially handled by putting the words in the
dictionary.  I don't know about espeak and other synths you are talking
about, but if there is a dictionary for them somewhere with the
abbreviations in them perhaps you could just edit it to remove the
abbreviations that bother you...  I know this sounds obvious, but I thought
I'd suggest it.  If the synths have translations of abbreviations like DR
hardcoded in the software, you can do the next best thing of entering the
words in your dictionary -- say, translate "DR" to " D R".
HTH.
I am away from home and don't have access to linux at the moment so can't
poke around and test my assertions.  But I know this problem is annoying as
I run into the same thing on my cell phone -- Dr on my cell phone is
translated to "Drive".  I would prefer a simple ""D r" being spoken.
Good luck.
--le