kernel build issue

Kirk Reiser kirk at braille.uwo.ca
Fri Mar 31 22:31:02 EST 2006

Hello Juan:  I am not sure why you are getting those errors exactly.
The variable it is complaining about in your code snip is declared
global further up in speakup.c.  There are a couple of other points
though I'd like to make because they sound strange after the way you
listed the commands you used to compile.  In 2.6.xx kernels you only
need run make after the configuration stage.  It also compiles the
modules.  Make modules_install is one word with an underscore in it so
what you ran would have attempted to make the modules after it had
already made them and then tried to install I don't know what if that
had succeeded.  You should have got that error when you just ran the
make command so I am quite confused.  Did you save the output to the
entire process?

I think What I would suggest is you run make clean and try again from
scratch.  You won't need to redo the configuration stage which is the
worst part of the whole process.  Then compile it again and keep the
entire output with a command like this:

make >make.out 2>&1 &

This will compile the whole package and save all the output to the
file make.out.  If that completes with a done you're in good shap and
can go on to the next bit if not send me the make.out file.  You
should compile that first portion as yourself or a regular user
account.  The next bit:

make modules_install

You should run as root.  After that you have to put the kernel and
System.map in place and run lilo or just reboot if you're using grub.

good luck.
  Kirk

phone: (519) 661-3061