New Linux PDA For Blind People

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Fri Mar 31 19:14:40 EST 2006

hank smith writes:
> good make it cdma and perhaps I will buy it
> problem is that all the phones are g s m
Ah, there's a reason why they're GSM, and the reason is germane to the
current discussion.

Because GSM uses SIM cards, third party developers like Owasys (or Code
Factory and TALX) can develop technology the telcos aren't willing to
do. You can hack up adevice, snap in your SIM card, and bring your
device up on a GSM network without any cooperation from the telephone
company.

This just isn't possible with CDMA. If Verizon Wireless (or Sprint)
aren't cooperating with you, there's just no way to bring up a device on
their networks.