New Linux PDA For Blind People

Janina Sajka janina at rednote.net
Thu Mar 30 10:22:26 EST 2006

Hi, Ann:

OK. Some answers below ...

Ann Parsons writes:
> I understand this is an audio device and not a braille one, right?

It's a two part concept. You have the handheld which is slim enough to
slide into a pocket or purse without bulging. Then you have a dock for
additional ports, additional batteries, additional speakers, and better
ergonomics for major work--like word processing. The first dock will be
qwerty with full sized keys. Future docks will be braille.

> Secondly, what about file compatibility.

It syncs with Outlook, and reads and writes Microsoft file formats. It
will also do ODF soon, before Massachusetts moves to ODF probably, so
you could use it directly on the job in Massachusetts.

> Tell me they're using FTP or SSH, and I'll sell my Nokia phone next
> year when they implement their phone feature, and I'll buy one of
> these.

Yes, ssh and ftp are implemented. You will not find the device
comfortable to use for very long as a telephone, though, unless you use
a headset with it. It's a little too wide to hold up to the hear
comfortably for very long.

Janina