New Linux PDA For Blind People

Ann K. Parsons akp at eznet.net
Thu Mar 30 07:11:44 EST 2006

Hi all,

Hmmmmm, it looks interesting, but I've got some questions.  I
understand this is an audio device and not a braille one, right?

Secondly, what about file compatibility.  You *know* that's going to
be the universal outcry from all the agencies on the planet.  "Can my
*clients* transfer files from this device to a computer and have it
read by Word?  Can my *client*, I hate that word, take a Word file and
work with it on this thing and port it back to his employer's computer
without trouble?"  You *know* that's what they're going to start
moaning about!  We all know that Emacs and VI write in txt, but they
don't.  What's going to be the answer to these yammerers?

Thirdly, and in my view, paramount, have they ckicked Activesync in
the butt and told it never, ever, to show its face again?  Have they
implemented FTP?  If they haven't, then I want nothing to do with it!
Activesync may be fine for syncking your PDA with Outlook, but it
really, really really um well, lemme see, what would be a nice
innnocuous word I could use, hmmmmm, useless.  Yes, that would be the
polite way to phrase it.  When a person has to fiddle around for more
than ten minutes in order to make a program work, then its useless.
You type FTP and you give it an address and it goes, now that's
efficiency!  Heck, if it's Linux and they're worried about security,
have 'em implement SSH.  Let the Windows people keep their Activesync!
I never use it unless compelled!  You won't believe the numbers of
messages on the BrailleNote list where people state categorically that
they simplly have gotten into the habit of using compact Flashcards or
SD cards and they just transfer information that way.  Nobody uses it
unless they actually want to synchronize their address books and their
stuff in Outlook!

Tell me they're using FTP or SSH, and I'll sell my Nokia phone next
year when they implement their phone feature, and I'll buy one of
these.

Ann P.

--
			Ann K. Parsons
email:  akp at eznet.net
WEB SITE:  http://home.eznet.net/~akp
Skype:  Putertutor
"All that is gold does not glitter.
Not all those who wander are lost."  JRRT