[OT] purchasing a domain name

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Thu Mar 23 09:53:02 EST 2006

A lot of the built-in price is the quote extras unquote you get with
the domain name.  If you don't want/need any extras, including
hosting or name resolution, then go daddy is like 7.95 or something
like that.  I don't use them, I use info avenue, iaregistry.com, it's
8.95 (I think, it's been a while) and I host my own domains and
provide my own name resolution.  info avenue has good tech support,
and is usually willing to work with you when email problems prevent
proper changing of domain information.  This is the reason I went
with them, even though they're a dollar more.  I don't need support
very often (once in the 3-4 years I've been there) but it sure is
nice to know it'll be there.  I've jumped through hoops to get
support from internic, even to the point of paying to have stuff
pushed through immediately (which they charge ubnoxious amounts for)
and still not gotten results.  I suggest avoiding them if you can.
At one point, I had nearly a dozen domains, and iaregistry.com worked
w/o a hitch for all of them, while it was a constant battle with
internic (not to mention rediculously expensive)
Bottom line is, use what works for you, and ignore the advertising.