lock up - what to do?

Ned ngranic at cox.net
Tue Mar 21 09:44:38 EST 2006

Hi all,
my question is more related to hardware than to linux itself, so appologies to the list mod, and please respond privately to me.
Namely, I got a new machine with pentium 4 proc, and I wonna install debian on it. What happens though, when I try to boot from the cd rom with speakup, computer locks up on me, and the only way to get out is to reset it. Now I figured out, after many days, that the hardware is the problem. When I try to change the cmos settings and set the cd rom as the 1st booting device, the comp still locks up on me -- no matter what. I think there is some very small, stupid problem with this, but can't get rid of it.
Any thoughts and ideas? Please!

Cheers!
Ned