USB TO SERIAL CABLE QUERY

David Harvey david at d-w-harvey.com
Thu Mar 9 03:20:35 EST 2006

Hello,

I just recently purchased a USB to serial cable, since my PC doesn't have a
serial port and I have an old DecTalk Express.

I'm trying to get speakup working on a Knoppix CD.  I hear the sound
"Initialising startup sequence" through my soundcard, but I'm not sure
what's on the screen from their on.

I press alt f2 to open a consul, type
knoppix speakup_synth=dectlk
but nothing happens.

Also off topic here I'm also trying to get it going using JFW.  I select
DecTalk Express in the list of synths to use and configure, but when I go to
select it, I hear a ding and speech via the soundcard stops.

What can I do to fix the above problems?

Thanks

David Harvey