Script for software speech

Gregory Nowak greg at romuald.net.eu.org
Wed Mar 8 23:07:53 EST 2006

- --- cut here ---

#!/bin/sh
# start_sftsyn

# Script to start software speech.
# Since festival and speech-dispatcher can be setup to start
# automatically in debian, we don't start them here.

# Written by Gregory Nowak <gnowak at users.sourceforge.net> 03/05/2006.

# I have sftsyn compiled as a module.
# so we modprobe for it below.

# Also note that I don't do any error checking below, since I don't expect to see any errors.

# If you don't like the way this works, feel free to modify and distribute.
# If you do make changes, I'd appreciate it if you'd drop me a line at the above address.

# Check if /proc/speakup/synth_name is none,
# if it is, we need to load software speech.

if cat /proc/speakup/synth_name | grep 'none' >/dev/null; then
/sbin/modprobe speakup_sftsyn
# We give speechd-up highest priority,
# since I prefer having a slowed-down system,
# rather then choppy speech.
/usr/bin/nice -20 /usr/bin/speechd-up
/usr/local/bin/speakupconf load
fi

# If we are using the bns, let's set the voice parms for it too.

if cat /proc/speakup/synth_name | grep 'bns' >/dev/null; then

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 02:21:16PM -0000, Chris Norman wrote:
> Yes please.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris Norman
> <!-- chris.norman4 at ntlworld.com -->