installed Fedora Core 5 but have questions

Raul A. Gallegos raul at asmodean.net
Wed Jun 28 14:19:36 EDT 2006

* Dawes, Stephen <Stephen.Dawes at calgary.ca> [060628 09:27]:
> Bill Acker has his own GPG key that is used for the Fedora
> Speakup-Modified kernels.
> I believe that it is available from the FTP site, if not, perhaps Janina
> or Bill can jump in here and provide the path to where you can get it.

Hi. I did some further reading and ended up doing:

rpm -ivh kernel-2.6.17-1.xxxx.rpm

I forget the build numbers in the xxx .. In any case it installed fine.
I'll dig around the net for the key though.

Or if you can go ahead and sen me the key for future reference but no
hurries on that now.

> Once you have either the download path or the actual file, you can then
> use rpm to install the GPG key to your collection of keys.
> Off the top of my head, I don't remember the option necessary to do
> this, but a quick google would definitely give you this answer.

Yep, rpm --import is the trick. I've got that one down <smile>.

> Yum remove kernel-2.6.15 should work for you.
> If not, try rpm --erase kernel-2.6.15

The yum approach worked. I removed the original fc5 kernel and then
updated non-speakup 2.6.17 and things are fine. I'm still not used to
all this automated stuff. I am used to building the kernels and making
them bootable by hand like when I used to run Slackware.

> Yes, you will need to do the mkinitrd to update it to use your synth.
> You also may want to turn on the pc bell which is off by default.
> The option for this is:
> --with=pcspkr

Got that and many thanks. I read that option in the speakup modified
howto install which shows that line as well.

--
Raul A. Gallegos ... IliwSsmc