continuous reading feature

MICHAEL MCDONALD MMCDONALD at aph.org
Tue Jun 20 06:24:53 EDT 2006

>1. How do you stop speakup+r from reading? I thought it was done with
>the escape key, but both that, and speakup+r itself don't stop it. I
>had to finally use ctrl+c once I got to the end of the document in
>emacs, and I'm pretty sure that this isn't how it should be done,
>since that would have the probably unwanted side-effect of
terminating
>the currently foreground application.

To stop the read all command just hit the ctrl key.  Actually I think
most single key presses should stop it, but I believe I have it set up
to act based on the ctrl key.

>2. How do I preserve my keymap changes across reboots? Do I need a
>line in my boot scripts to copy it to /proc/speakup/keymap every
time,
>or is there a more permanent way of doing this, such as including it
>in the kernel?

There is a way to compile speakup into the kernel so that the keymap
comes up everytime.  Basically you replace the existing keymap and
recompile the kernel.  I don't remember the exact sequence to make it
work though.