Online Documentation

Ralph W. Reid rreid at sunset.net
Fri Jun 16 14:27:15 EDT 2006

My preferences in order:

man pages--can be included in existing manual system so they are quick
and easy to look up

html--can include some built-in formatting, and final formatting into
readable text can be performed by my choice of web browser

plain text--quite readable and usable--basically just about equal to
html formatting for me if the formatting is okay (reasonable length
lines, etc.)

info--usable, but I have found that plowing through layers and layers
of info pages can be time consuming if large amounts of info needs to
be plowed through in order to find what I want

postscript--originally created for print formatting, this format would
have to be run through a postscript interpreter to be readable--does
not seem practical unless I need to dump it to a postscript printer,
which would result in printed material which I could not read anyway

PDF--Pretty D**n Fraked!!!  I would have to run it through pdftotext
just to be able to read it at all, and the formatting might or might
not survive the translation.  Please don't use this format if at all
possible!

HTH, and have a _great_ weekend!

On Thu, Jun 15, 2006 at 09:58:41AM -0700, Steve Holmes wrote:

rreid at sunset.net  http://personalweb.sunset.net/~rreid
...passing through The City of Internet at the speed of light!
CIRCLE CIRCUMFERENCE = 2 * _pi * r