living with zsh

Michael Prokop mika at grml.org
Thu Jun 15 02:52:12 EDT 2006

* Charles Hallenbeck <chuckh at hhs48.com> wrote:

> For a couple of weeks now I have been using the zsh shell as a
> substitute for bash. The grml folks rave about it, and in fact I rather
> like it too, ... until today.

[...]
> So next I changed the symbolic link /bin/sh to point to /bin/zsh instead
> of /bin/bash, and tried out all of my own scripts, which worked fine. In
> fact nearly everything  worked fine. One of my audio programs acted up,
> and the way I was interrupting an in-progress play in the bash
> environment would not work in the zsh environment. I got that untangled
> and thought I was out of the woods.

> I am running Debian unstable here, and have encouraged lots of folks to
> do that rather than hanging back in testing. And my experience has been
> really good. Until lately. I found a package (I forget which) that
> failed to upgrade when a "post installation script" failed. So the
> package was described as "not fully installed or removed."  Interesting.
[...]

Seems you hit the debconf bug:

> How do the grml folks deal with this incompatibility? They use the
> apt-get mechanism for package handling, right? Is there a configuration
> tweak that I had not discovered to make it all work?

"/bin/sh now points to /bin/bash; reason: Debian does not support zsh
as /bin/sh, zsh is used as interactive shell anyway of course"

  -- http://grml.org/files/README-0.7.php

regards,
-mika-
--
 ,'"`.         http://www.michael-prokop.at/
(  grml.org -» Linux Live-CD for texttool-users and sysadmins