doubletalk ISA (was: computers/parts for sale)

Travis Siegel tsiegel at softcon.com
Wed Jun 14 17:03:23 EDT 2006

Yeah, but there's only so many positions the jumper can go in.  I
don't mind the jumpers.  In fact, I prefer them to the plug and pray
that windows uses, since I can tell the cards where they should be
looking for their configuration, and not leaving it up to a buggy os
to find them for me.  I've had too many plug and play devices that
weren't.  I can't stand them.  I currently have a motherboard that
has a network port on it that I can't use, because there's no drivers
for this board for xp.  If this was a jumpered board, I could simply
set it up the board the way I wanted, then tell the os to go do it's
thing, and there'd be no conflict.  This way, if you don't have a
driver, you don't have a device, regardless of how much you paid for it.