festival with speech-dispatcher

Hynek Hanke hanke at brailcom.org
Fri Jun 9 08:14:47 EDT 2006

Charles Hallenbeck píše v Pá 09. 06. 2006 v 07:35 -0400:
> Here is my problem. When I activate the festival daemon and make the
> necessary modifications to speechd.confand festival.conf in
> speech-dispatcher, and also to /etc/festival.scm, switching to sftsyn in
> speakup does not produce speech.

You can also test Speech Dispatcher with the command
	spd-say "hello"
through -o you can switch modules etc., see 'spd-say -h'
	spd-say -o espeak "hello"
	spd-say -o festival "hello"
Apart from testing, this utility can come handy in scripts.

> (defvar server_access_list '(hq\.hhs\.com))

Most likely, you are getting rejected by the server because of
server_access_list. I think it should be

(defvar server_access_list '("hq.hhs48.com"))

this name must be defined in /etc/hosts.conf with the appropriate
IP address. Telnet to the host and port as you gave an example is
a good immediate way to check whether this issue is still present.

With regards,
Hynek