Inflection in speech synthesis

Justin Ekis jekis at ntelos.net
Tue Jun 6 22:21:42 EDT 2006

I'm sending this again from my subscribed address this time. I think
messages from non-subscribed addresses get blocked. Sorry if this is a
duplicate.

On Tue, Jun 06, 2006 at 02:34:28PM +0200, Hynek Hanke wrote:
> I'm interested if you or others tried Festival. Do you know it is
> possible to adjust the inflection span with
> 	(set-pitch-range value)
> in /etc/festival.conf (will soon be adjustable through Speech Dispatcher
> too)? Bellow is included a description of how to test it easily.

Hello Hynek,
I have /etc/festival.scm but not festival.conf. Is that the file to use?
Unfortunately the example you sent isn't working here, I may be doing
something wrong though.

> (set-pitch-range 200)
SIOD ERROR: unbound variable : set-pitch-range

Where can I find clear documentation on festival? I've installed the
festival-doc package in debian and looked through the manual which
starts at /usr/share/doc/festival/html/festival_toc.html.
It seems very complicated and I get the idea I'll have to learn the
scheme language just to customize my tts. That's not very appealing.
Any help or advice is appreciated.

By the way, any idea when festival 2.0 will be out? It's coming up on
two years since 1.95 beta was released and nothing new. There's not even
an experimental debian package for it that I can find.

Justin