speakup serial ports

chuckh at hhs48.com chuckh at hhs48.com
Fri Jul 28 15:27:13 EDT 2006

Hi Greg,

That's a possible path too. Thanks. But I think what we'll do first is
put the synth on ttyS0 and the braille device on ttyS4 and see if we can
bring it up that way. I imagine Kirk meant 0 to 3, the first four ports,
instead of 0 to 4. This is awkward since the user is 35 miles from here
with a dead system and my wife, who loves to talk, is on the only phone
we have here.

So, stay tuned! <smile>

Chuck

On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 12:22:27PM -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Hi Chuck and all.
>
> Chuck, it should still be possible for you to have speakup
> modularized, and to load it once the pci serial card is
> initialized. Admittedly, this wouldn't give you speech as early as it
> would if speakup was in the kernel, but it should still work. Also,
> Kirk did say that the addresses for ports 0-4 are scanned, so speakup
> should still look for your synth on ttyS4 once the module gets loaded.
>
> Greg
>

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2006 at 03:15:52PM -0400, chuckh at hhs48.com wrote:
> > Hi Kirk,
> >
> > Thanks. But now we have a dead system, so CPR measures are in order.
> > Fortunately the user has a grml disk to rescue things with, so I think
> > we can unscramble his eggs this time.
> >
> > I see from the boot messages that speakup is already up and talking when
> > the PCI slots are scanned and configured, so it's no wonder ttyS4 did
> > not work.
> >
> > Ain't computers fun?
> >
> > Chuck
> >

> --
> web site: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org
> gpg public key: http://www.romuald.net.eu.org/pubkey.asc
> skype: gregn1

Get downloads from http://www.mhcable.com/~chuckh
  and remember, INFORMATION WANTS TO BE FREE!