deian installation questions

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Thu Jul 27 22:28:15 EDT 2006

The md5 file can be used to do a trivial validation on an iso file by
having both the md5 file ad the iso in the sae directory and also having a
version of md5sum installed on either Linux or windows.  Then it's a
matter of running md5sum speakup-netinst-3.1r0a.iso <cr> and md5sum should
take a while and if you're lucky just return you to the system or prompt
which means the md5sum test passed.  For the gpg file you'll need to have
gpg installed and operational and you'll need to import the gpg file into
your keyring.  If memory serves after that gpg -v
speakup-netinst-3.1r0a.iso and wait for the response.  It's not uncommon
to have a file pass the md5sum test and fail the gpg test either.  If any
of the two tests fail, you got yourself a bad iso download and will need
to repeat the try later.  I managed to get an earlier version of debian
downloaded but never managed to get the latest version downloaded and
burnt clean to date.  So I'm going to try an image download if I can ever
get a good line for the sources.list file