Two questions

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Wed Jul 26 17:23:09 EDT 2006

Tyler Littlefield writes:

> hmm. could you then, use a boot simulator to just boot? or create a grub
> boot disk?
> I don't think grub will work on a windows system will it?
> So, if something were to be written, the harddrive would have to be
> detected.
Not sure quite what you mean, grub can be used on dual boot machines, so it
is compatible with windows as far as that goes. I think it might be only
possible to configure it through linux, may be that is what you mean. I
would probably would use one of the following things below:
Install lilo or grub onto a floppy disk, or if some other media is taking
over for booting from (and is normally first in the BIOS list use that), and
get that to boot linux off a external drive (if it works, not sure not done
that before). This method offers greatest portability, plug in your external
drive, stick in the floppy, off you go. Well that is the theory, as most
computers check the floppy before hard disks.
The other that I am sure would work, but probably will be less portable, use a standard USB storage device,
and use the BIOS boot sequence (setting USB as first). Unfortunately this
requires BIOS support, and is not available on some older computers.

Both option probably will need USB (if USB is used) built in to the kernel
rather than modules.
From
Michael Whapples