best linux version to use that is up to date now that fedora core is no longer being updated with speakup

Karen Lewellen klewellen at shellworld.net
Tue Jul 25 11:55:09 EDT 2006

Ralph and all,
What a richly intelligent way to pose this question.
With your guidance in mind, I am going to ask this too.
I am still seeking the hardware for my desired Linux system,  but do know
some of what I want to accomplish.
I hear good things of gnome too, so if this is a better choice than
speakup for my goals, that is fine too.
I would like a distribution with the largest number of precompiled
programs, with an emphasis on managing online audio and video, the viewing
/capturing, not necessarily the editing.  If sound editing has expanded
here, say something at the audacity level if not audacity itself, this too
would be welcome.
I am considering dsl, so a distribution with tools to support this if
possible likewise would be welcome.
I would in turn get the hardware to fit the distribution requirements, and
would be using a hardware synthesizer along the dec-talk lines.
What do ou say based on the above?
Thanks,
Karen