set speakup to use ttyS1 at command line?

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Mon Jul 24 10:40:45 EDT 2006

I need to set speakup to use a doubletalk on ttyS1 and I need to do it
at the command line.

I know I can echo ltlk to /proc/speakup/synth_name to get it to use the
doubletalk but then it defaults to ttyS0.  Can i tell it to use ttyS1
somehow?

It's a long story as to why I can't use ttyS0 and why I can't use kernel
  parameters. I'm still trying to get this soekris computer working.
It's nice because it has a BIOS designed to be configured via ttyS0. But
I can't find any way to get it to use ttyS1. Also, grub defaults to
ttyS0 if there's no video console.

I tried putting my doubletalk on ttyS0 but that hung the machine. I'm
hoping  it will work on ttyS1.  I tried initializing speakup  with the
doubletalk on ttyS1 via kernel parameters but that hung the machine too.
And that was especially difficult to recover from since there's no CD
drive or diskette to boot knoppix from. I had to do a pxe boot to fix
the grub config.

So that's why i want to try to initialize the doubletalk on ttyS1 via
the command line.