ubuntu 6.06

Jude DaShiell jdashiel at shellworld.net
Sat Jul 22 16:31:31 EDT 2006

There's a live cd with gnopernicus on it I've been failing with to date.
The only reason I'm trying this package out at all is because I can take
the hard drive out and replace it with another when this system goes
South.  I'll probably be able to get sighted assistance installing too
since this otherwise isn't installable so far.  So far three problems are
apparent:
1) boot screen is missing audible indicators for when it appears and
disappears (minor since things can be done with keyboard after system
comes up but may be doing suboptimal performance and I don't yet know it.
Solution for this one will be to have number of seconds boot screen is on
and number of seconds after audible landmark when boot screen appears.
2)  When system comes up and boot screen wasn't used effectively, even
after enabling support and gnopernicus window comes back it's not possible
to create another window easily in which to run install most of the time.
It worked well on the first boot of the day but not well after that.  The
computer may have to rest a half hour between reboots.
3)  When I had sighted assistance with an install of this system earlier;
    we got error 18 on grub after the first reboot and didn't get to log in
    that second time since grub just went into deep space.  From reading
    I've done it could be grub mistakenly made one of the partitions
    primary and all should have been logical.  I've read other things too,
    but will have to get to experiment to find out for sure.  Other than
    that, ubuntu is a fine operating system.