laptops with serial ports

Michael Whapples mikster4 at msn.com
Sat Jul 15 17:57:39 EDT 2006

What is the reason for serial port? If it is to be able to install linux
with speakup, then would it be possible to choose something with a suitable
sound card and use software speech in something like GRML. I think people
were saying in discussions about GRML that it is possible to install debian
from that, and it should most certainly be possible to install gentoo with
that (as I think all the install stuff is in the stage file that you
decompress to the hard disk and and the speech is provided by the linux CD).

As I remember last year when my old HP laptop got stolen, it was very hard
to find a replacement with a serial port (although I did find one at Dell,
the inspiron 510m (I think no longer in production)). Sorry I can't help too
much with that part, all the ones I can find seem out of your price limit
(evesham computers have one with a serial port, but approx 1200
www.evesham.com). May be one of these companies that can build laptops to
order could do something, but I think they will be too expensive if you need
to stick to that limit.

If you want the serial port for other things, then is there other solutions
with various adaptors from other ports suitable?

From
Michael Whapples