laptops with serial ports

Adrian Beech a.beech at bigpond.net.au
Fri Jul 14 19:21:35 EDT 2006

G'day Alex,

You might be hard pressed to find a laptop nowadays with serial ports!  An
alternative option would be to use a USB to serial converter.  The main
question is, I guess, would Speakup be able to use a USB interface even
though the converter should by rights show up as a serial port?  I haven't
tried using USB to serial converters under any of the Linux flavors and
probably don't fully understand all the ins and outs, etc -- hence my point
here may be a mute one.

Cheers.
AB