private vs. public IP addresses

Alex Snow alex_snow at gmx.net
Fri Jul 14 13:43:25 EDT 2006

there's also another range (forget where it is now) that's reserved
for amature packet radio, though I hear a rumor those IPs might be
taken away to help with the shortage of routable internet IPs.
On Fri,
Jul 14, 2006 at 12:36:55PM -0400, Travis Siegel wrote:
> There are actually 5 classes of ips.  Class a, b, and c are the ones
> used on the internet as a whole, and those ips have already been
> mentioned here.
> Class D has a 224.something range of ips that are considered private
> as well.  However, this is hardly a consideration, since class D
> addresses are used strictly for multicasting purposes, and it's
> likely you'll never need one.
> Then, there's class E addresses.  These start at 240, and there is
> one of these reserved for private use too, though again, I don't know
> what it is.
> Class E addresses are for experimental purposes, and are also
> generally multicast addresses.  Again, you'll probably never see one
> of these ips on any network, and especially not on the internet.
> But, they are there, and are used occasionally, even if we don't
> encounter them.

We are using Linux daily to UP our productivity - so UP yours!
	-- Adapted from Pat Paulsen by Joe Sloan