iptables questions

John Heim jheim at math.wisc.edu
Wed Jul 12 20:46:34 EDT 2006

When the tech support guys at Tyler's ISP told him he had a "private"
IP, they probably meant they're blocking incoming connections.  He had
to pay $5 extra to get them to punch a hole in their firewall.  Lots of
ISPs block some ports so you can't set up your own smtp server, for
example.  Maybe Tyler's ISP blocks all incoming connections by default
and allows only outgoing and existing connections.

I can't believe an ISP would hand out 10.0.0/24 addresses. Hand out
private IP addresses and do NAT for every customer? Impossible (I
think). It may even be illegal.

More likely, they have a range of IP addresses that are not blocked by
their firewall. They had to reassign him one from that range. That's
what cost $5. I think "private" is marketing-speak for "blocked".

Gregory Nowak wrote:

+