still having trouble with software speech on Grml

Scott Berry electronicman1961 at myfreedombox.com
Sat Jan 28 11:47:51 EST 2006

Okay Micah,

I appended to lilo fine.  Everything there went well.  But when I echo
the flite synth like this "echo flite >/proc/speakup/synthname" and
then doo speechd-up it does not work.  I do have sound varified by
soundtest.  And here is what the speakup 2.0 software page says.  I did
add the "/dev/softsynth" and also "/dev/synth."
Here is a part of the manual and the part that is giving me trouble
again is the echo command.

Before you can use a software synthesizer, you must have created the
/dev/softsynth device.  If you have not already done so, issue the
following commands as root:

cd /dev
mknod softsynth c 10 26

While we are at it, we might just as well create the /dev/synth device,
which can be used to let user space programs send information to your
synthesizer.  To create /dev/synth, change to the /dev directory, and
issue the following command as root:

mknod synth c 10 25

Now you can begin using your software synthesizer.  In order to do so,
echo the sftsyn keyword to the synth_name proc entry like this:

echo sftsyn >/proc/speakup/synth_name

Next run the speechd_up command like this:

speechd_up &

Your synth should now start talking, and you should be able to adjust
the pitch, rate, etc.

In this section, we have assumed that your copy of Speakup was compiled
with the speakup_sftsyn component either built into the kernel, or
compiled as a module.

--
Scott Berry
electronicman1961 at myfreedombox.com
Check out my lazy web doodle at:
http://www.myfreedombox.com/users/electronicman1961/

Email services by FreedomBox.  Surf the Net at the sound of your voice.
www.freedombox.info